Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Back porch, hummingbirds (finally) and not playing basketball

- Friend Janice brought me some Kona coffee from her visit to Hawaii last week and I enjoyed it on the back porch on Sunday morning.  Kona coffee always makes me think of my dad, who discovered it when he passed through Hawaii on his journey home at the end of World War II.  I used to put a pound of Kona in his Christmas stocking sometimes.  And the device there on the table with it is a Thermcell - it keeps mosquitoes at bay.  They are at it already and it really does work.

- I had almost given up on any hummingbirds ever visiting my feeder, but heeded the advice of the woman who works at the nearby garden center, "Put it out with nectar in the spring and they'll start coming by in early June."  And right on schedule - a hummingbird flew up, saw that I was sitting nearby and flew away with a squeak!  I can also see it from my sofa and was happy to see it came back again and again over the weekend.

- You'd have to click to enlarge to really see the basketball goals in the clearing at the end of this sidewalk that is at the side property of the elementary school up the street from my home.  My sister spotted this when she was walking with me here a few weeks ago when she visited and said (tongue in cheek), "We'll have to come back up here and play basketball!"  Ha!  I have a chuckle about that every time I pass this way on a neighborhood walk (because walking is about as athletic as the two of us have ever gotten.)  :)

10 comments:

desk49 said...

I never liked basketball either.

LL Cool Joe said...

I'm so pleased you didn't frighten the hummingbird away for good. They are such delightful birds. We see them in AZ, but I always fail to get a good photo of them as they move so fast!

Kona coffee is a blast from the past!

Elephant's Child said...

Hummingbirds? Be still my jealous heart. My better self is really, really happy for you.
And walking, or swimming is as athletic as I ever got. Or ever will get.

Lee said...

How great that is about the hummingbirds, Lynn...such a thrill to have them come. :)

I've heard of Kona coffee, but I've not tried it.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I dearly love Hummingbirds and they come to my garden when things are in bloom....They are such delightful and interesting birds....! I'm so happy for you that they are coming to your feeder.....
Kona Coffee-----YUM! I haven't had any in 40 years.....I just don't drink coffee anymore, but.....it was The Best!!!

Snaggle Tooth said...

Never heard of that coffee, or the mosquito thing. You fill me in on alot I don't know! I guess Hummingbirds form a daily schedule of where to eat n when the flowers are in bloom. I've had some on the deck before- yes, shy n too fast for pics usually... I was never great at basketball. (I'm short).

Anonymous said...

How lovely and leafy.

Crafty Green Poet said...

So lovely to have hummingbirds visit!

Sparkling Red said...

I like your kitty mug.

I would love to have a bird feeder, but not quite enough to take on the responsibility of maintaining one.

Riot Kitty said...

I've never enjoyed basketball, but that's probably because I'm short.

I've heard marigolds keep away mosquitoes, too.