Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Celebrating life, bridge over peaceful waters and hustling

I was in Orange Park, Florida over the weekend to celebrate the life of a beloved uncle who passed away last week.  He was my late mother's younger brother and such a happy man that he would have loved the party my aunt threw for him on Friday night.  The service was on Saturday morning, but since I walk on Saturday mornings with my friends, I tried to rally sister and cousin for an early walk with me.  They could not be persuaded.  So I asked the hotel desk if there was a path along the St. Johns River and there was!  Off I went.

- The birds were singing so sweetly as I started out on this peaceful morning, that I titled this photo Three Little Birds, after the Bob Marley song, because serendipitously, it came on my iPod at that very moment.  And I sang a little of it out loud, since no one was stirring.  Click on the red link there to hear it if you don't know it.  "Don't worry about a thing, 'cause every little thing's gonna be alright."

- Ah - I found the river behind a home that was empty and for sale.  That's the Buckman Bridge that connects Orange Park, Florida with Jacksonville, Florida.  What a glorious view in store for some lucky buyer.  I had taken a wrong turn and missed the river path, so backtracked and found it:

- Love the Spanish Moss dripping from the trees that is all over northern Florida.  A peaceful walk, listening to tunes.

- And toward the end, I encountered people running - I found it on the internet - it was the "Hula Hustle 5K", which explains why some runners were wearing grass skirts and leis.  :)  Click to enlarge.

A cheerful sheriff's deputy, who was directing runner traffic, directed me back to the hotel.  And everyone was sorry they didn't go with me, after they heard about the view.  :)  I loved it and was just as happy to be alone.

13 comments:

Joanne said...

Sounds like you had a lovely walk, though i wish it were under better circumstances!!

Fireblossom said...

Nothing like a peaceful walk in a pretty place to restore the soul.

Anonymous said...

wow - what gorgeous scenes!

desk49 said...

Three little birds
Sing a song to help
Your walk along

Two towns it twined
In this pic of thine
A bridge that seem long

In the last I see
Was a big tree and
Grass to their knees

Lee said...

All those people who were stirring soon were when you work them up with your loud singing, Lynn! ;) Just kidding around...they probably would've been glad to have been woken up by such a happy sound.

That is a gorgeous spot to have a house. I'd be singing out loudly continuously if I had a view like that. :)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

How very beautiful it is there---so very peaceful.....It's great that you were there for your dear Uncle's service and for catching all these lovely pictures that you could share with all of us....!

Vagabonde said...

What a beautiful view! On a sunny morning with all this pretty landscape around you, it must have made you feel better. I am sorry for your loss.

Elephant's Child said...

A peaceful, beautiful, restorative walk.
Who could ask for more? Except a house with a view like that.

Riot Kitty said...

I'm sorry about your uncle. But what a lovely spot.

lotta joy said...

FYI St. Johns River is the only river in the US that flows south to north. That area IS beautiful without having tourist traps.

sage said...

Looks beautiful! Spanish moss is ubiquitous in these parts

Sara said...

I hope people click on your pictures! These were stunning and made me wish I could've been on that walk with you.

I am sorry about your uncle. It sounds like he was a special man. I love that you mentioned the "party." Just recently I was talking to someone from out of the country and he was shocked at the idea of having a "party" when someone died. I tried to explain the Southernism of this, but gave up.

Sounds like the birds and your iPod were in sync with each other:~)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynn - your post says it all - for your uncle, the love your aunt had for her husband ... and then your solitude for some time to reflect on that wonderful walk ...

Cheers Hilary