Friday, September 20, 2013

View across the Potomac, memorial and wacky gift shop

As promised - more pics of DC and beyond...

- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s monument is looking directly at the Jefferson Memorial.  As many times as I've been to Washington, DC, I've never seen the Jefferson Memorial up close.  It's so beautiful at night (seen from various trips in and out of Washington after the sun went down.)  And it sure was pretty viewed across the Potomac River on a blue sky day.

- The sister I traveled with particularly wanted to see the World War II Memorial in honor of our dad, who was a veteran of WWII. I had seen it on an earlier visit, but loved seeing it again.  It is just a short walk from the King Memorial.

- The cast iron wreath with eagles when you look up into the rotunda at the entrance.

- A visitor from Texas left a beautiful bouquet of yellow roses in tribute to fallen soldiers from that state.

- And switching gears with a sledgehammer, the giant jaws at the entrance to the Dinosaur Land gift shop.  We didn't actually go into the park, but I believe the gift shop has cornered the market on just about everything cheesy you could put in a gift shop.  :)  And you can pay to have your picture taken inside those jaws.

I hope the weekend has good things in store for you, my friends!

17 comments:

happygirl said...

Oh my goodness. Are you still in DC? I'm going to Alexandria, VA for the weekend. It would be so cool to have a bubble tea together. GREAT shots. :)

LL Cool Joe said...

What a great set of photos! Looks like you had a blast!

Have a wonderful weekend Lynn!

Lynn said...

happygirl -

No - I left last Monday afternoon. Back at work on Tuesday.

I don't know what bubble tea is. Hmmm...

Joe -

Thank you - it was a blast. The best part was seeing my family.

Chatty Crone said...

The pictures came out beautiful - except now I want to go!

Sara said...

LOL I was getting all mellow and a bit nostalgic about the war memorial as my dad was also in WWII. THEN the last picture popped into place.

I do appreciate the laugh very much and I hope you have a great weekend, Lynn:~)

TALON said...

Love the photos and even the giant teeth! :)

Have a beautiful weekend, Lynn.

Lee said...

It would just be my luck that those jaws locked shut on me if I stepped inside! ;)

Great pictures, Lynn.

Elephant's Child said...

Now that was a spectacular shift in gears. I was enjoying your photos and thinking sombre thoughts - and then ka pow. And I love the dinosaur jaws. Quirkiness has a lot of charm.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

All the Monuments in D.C. are so very Beautiful....The WW2 Memorial is so striking---I haven't seen it in person,but to see these photo's was very meaningful to me.

That shop is a Hoot!!! I so wish you had had your picture taken in those Jaws! LOL!

Granny Annie said...

Yep, me too. Caught up in the first set of photos and then you switched gears in a big way. So funny. Wish you would have take you picture in the jaws.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynn .. switching gears with a sledgehammer .. great phrase!

Glad you had a lovely time .. cheers Hilary

Riot Kitty said...

Oh, what I wouldn't give to go into that gift shop!! My friend always requests tacky souvenirs from my travels and then we get competitive...I once bought her a three-pack of thongs with the Union Jack on them from a tourist stand in London.

Lynn said...

Sandie -

That would be a great trip with grandson!

Sara -

I'm glad I could give you a chuckle. :)

Talon -

Thanks!

Lee -

I know! Same here.

Lynn said...

Elephant's Child -

I love the quirkiness, too. :)

Naomi -

It is a hoot. :) And I'm glad you liked the DC photos.

Granny Annie -

Next time maybe.

Hilary -

I did have a nice time.

Riot Kitty -

They have all manner of tacky things - love it.

Sparkling Red said...

The monuments are beautiful. I find it moving to be in spaces like that, dedicated to beauty and reflection.

Jannie Funster said...

That giant jaw is hilarious, I wonder if it's made by the same guy who made the shark at the entrance to a gift shop in Corpus.

I hope to get and see the sights in DC some day!!

xooxo

Snaggle Tooth said...

Finally got here this week- Great pics! I remember the Jefferson Mem lit up at night from 8th grade-
The King n WWII mems weren't in our tour then- but saw the Viet Nam wall.
I'd prob like Dino land!