Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Full of grace, gentle spirit and growth

Today is the 50th anniversary of the day that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. gave his "I Have a Dream" speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington DC.  Bells will ring in all 50 states at 3:00 pm EDT today (the time of the speech 50 years ago), including "Stone Mountain of Georgia," mentioned in the speech, which is about five minutes from my home.  In tribute, I am re-posting photos taken two and three years ago, to celebrate the day.

- You only need a heart full of grace, a soul generated by love... From the I Have a Dream speech, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.  The sign borders the King Center for Nonviolent Social Change in Atlanta just next to Freedom Parkway.

- This is the original church building for Ebenezer Baptist Church, standing for more than 122 years. It was here, from the pulpit of the Heritage Sanctuary, that Dr. King preached his ministry of nonviolence. The sign asking that cars yield to bicycles is a tribute to the gentle spirit of the neighborhood.

- Due to church growth, this much larger church building now resides just across the street. The King Center is just behind it.

I'll be working today at 3pm, but looking forward to the TV news capturing that bell ringing.  And I heard on the morning news that they have physically moved a large bell to the top of Stone Mountain so they can ring it at the appointed time.  It gives me chills to think about it.

10 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynn .. it is a day full of hope once again and full of poignancy ... I expect I'll hear the bells at some stage - possibly tomorrow as the timings will be out for the news.

Lucky you being so close and being able to hear the actual bell in 'real life' ..

Let's bring better for all .. Hilary

TALON said...

Neat about the bell ringing...50 years...they went by in a flash...hope his message continues to resonate because we're definitely not there yet.

Joanne said...

Only an hour to go here! Such a beautiful day in history.

Riot Kitty said...

Thank you for the virtual tour! I have read about that church - you've captured it well.

Elephant's Child said...

This is such a beautiful and evocative post. A fine tribute to an inspirational man. And I hope that we can continue to nurture the seeds of hope and tolerance he planted.

Sara said...

Like Talon said, it's hard to believe it's been 50 years, but I am pleased celebrations of this special man's "I have a dream" speech went on throughout the country.

The pictures you shared are so nice. So much about MLK's history was centered in the Atlanta area.

MLK has always been a special man to me. He spoke his dream aloud; put it out there, knowing it wouldn't be easy to accomplish and was risky, but he did it anyway.

While we have a long ways to go, we are so much further than when I grew up in the 1950s in the South.

At that time, people would have scoffed and laughed at thought there would ever be a Black-American President of the United States, but there is today.

I know more is still needed, but I appreciate what has happened and MLK is a major reason for so many changes for the good.

sage said...

I've always wanted to worship at Ebenezer Baptist Church when I've been in Atlanta, but have yet to make it.

Lynn said...

Hilary -

I hope you got to hear all the bells.

Talon -

Definitely not, but I love progress that's been made.

Joanne -

So beautiful.

Riot Kitty -

Thank you - I plan to go to a church service there at some point.

Lynn said...

Elephant's Child -

Thank you - I wanted to write a tribute. And I hope so, too.

Sara -

He's a special man to me, too. So peaceful and such courage.

Sage -

I plan to do that, too. I have no excuse. :)

Granny Annie said...

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr was a champion to any person ever having experienced discrimination of any kind. He cleared the way for all.