Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Blue hydrangeas, whispering and oversleeping

- Another sign of summer, the owner of my company brings in hydrangeas from her home garden. I find it fascinating that you can make the blooms turn from pink to blue by adding aluminum to the soil it is growing in.

- Our receptionist at work, a lovely young woman with an equally lovely voice, has temporarily lost her voice from a cold. She whispers to visitors when they walk in and they whisper back.

- Oversleeping by 30 minutes (power failure), but waking up in enough time to water outside plants and blog. There was an initial flash of disappointment when I realize that I don't have two more hours to sleep, but then there was having coffee to look forward to and my usual quick facebook read. Friend Shashi is also up and about at 5:30am and writes: "Two cups of coffee down and still don't feel human...going for a third..." I'm with ya sister. :)

10 comments:

happygirl said...

I've always wondered how the hydrangeas changed color. And, up at 5:30! It would take something stronger than coffee to make me feel human. :)

Louvregirl said...

I love blue hydrangeas! You can order blue bush; plants as well ( to grow.) I almost put one in. Have a good day Lynn!

TALON said...

I love when the hydrangeas are blue. They are such lush blooms and make super dried flowers, too.

Sorry about the power outtage. It sucks when we feel like we've lost out on sleep. Hope the coffee is doing it's job! :)

Maude Lynn said...

Two cups of coffee barely start me on the path to being human!

Cloudia said...

Summer fun!



Aloha from Waikiki :)

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


><}}(°>

<°)}}><

desk49 said...

Now, now Lynn we all know
It’s the house we grow up in
that makes all the difference.

The guest whisperer

A cup of mud is all I need
To open one more eye
Two more hours of sleep I wanted
But I’m not going to cry
Plants got watered, blog was read
Now into facebook I will spy
I find a friend named Shashi
That needs more coffee to fly

Lynn said...

happygirl -

You can also buy them like that - someone gave me one when I was in the hospital. It's no longer with me though. :(

I'm actually up at 4:45am. I like to have the 5 to 6am hour to blog and email, water plants, etc. I work 20 miles from home and get here at 7:30am. So lots going on in my early morning.

Talon -

My friend Ginny has gorgeous hydrangeas and she picked a load of the blossoms to dry for her daughter's wedding that was on December 31. Our late friend Maggie dried them for her and kept them for arranging at the church on the big day.

Lynn said...

Mama Zen -

I don't know what I did before coffee. I didn't start drinking it until I was in my 30s.

Cloudia -

Indeed!

Ellis -

Love the poem and the term "guest whisperer!"

Snaggle Tooth said...

I'd never heard of that color change trick... That's so funny when folks whisper back! Waking late n not being late for work? You have alot of get ready time!

Lynn said...

Snaggle -

I am slow to wake in the morning - I've never been a morning person. So I take my time, for sure. :)